Pages

Monday, March 12, 2018

“Doing nothing for others is the undoing of ourselves.”

1: “Doing nothing for others is the undoing of ourselves.”
Horace Mann
2: “There are these amazing little seeds called compassion.  You should grow some.”
Richelle E. Goodrich
3: “It didn´t occur to me until later that there´s another truth, very simple: greed in a good cause is still greed.”
Stephen King, Wolves of the Calla
4: “I've purged myself of worldly goods; half my stuff is either being sold or going to charity. I need to go shopping.”
Christy Leigh Stewart
5: “Many love humanity only in order to forget God with a clear conscience.”
Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Our way of life since the beginning of mankind has continued to evolve. In the modern world of today, human innovation in technology and medicine are achieving incredible feats not only to extend or save lives, but to enrich them as well.

I need only to look at my phone and know that in a moment's notice, I can reconnect with an old friend. With my phone, I can watch the latest news, follow a celebrity or voice my opinions. It's a powerful device, but one I also believe has the power to take away the essence of living.

If we look back to the pre-internet and pre-mobile era, we realise that a lot of life we associate with today simply does not exist. Life was different then, and while I wasn't around during that time, I can envision a simpler day-to-day.

But as much as technology has grown, we are ultimately human. The human body, mind and soul hasn't changed in the last 50 years. We're the same as the earliest of modern mankind. Because of this, it's important to view humanity as the foundation that builds greatness and inspires storytelling.

The respect for all humans, realising that we're not all the same but rather that we're unique and yearn for understanding is what I firmly believe is my life's goal. Lending a hand may be a simple act to us, but for somebody else, it could change the course of their life. It's easy to forget the magnitude something small can create, akin to the butterfly effect.

Conversely, I can see the perspective of spending too much time in the interests of others is as much as a distraction as the modern technology around us, suppressing our opportunities to live a life we want. A life serving others is an incredible one, no doubt, but we can't forget that we are individuals too, and that we need to find time for ourselves instead of depending on others for our happiness.

I personally enjoy time alone, but as with all things in life, we need balance. We ought to live a life where we are alert to opportunities around us so that we can grow and develop as well as help others along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment